Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 2: Rabat Morocco


I have arrived! Myself and all my luggage (including 8 bottles of contact solution, a lifetime supply of face wash, and every over the counter medication possible) have made it safely to Morocco.  It hasn’t fully sunken in that I am finally here. The Agdal district were our hotel and school is located is quite fashionable with modern boutiques, lots of women in modern dress, and French written and spoken everywhere so it feels more like I am someplace in Europe. And since all of us students are staying in the same hotel for orientation we walk, eat, and hangout together in an obvious, English-speaking group it has all the similarities of an exotic class trip. I am sure as soon as I move in with my host family this will immediately vanish and I’m not sure I won’t miss it. Its kind of comforting, if a bit sheltered. Our bus tour today was the first time I felt like I was more in Morocco. We visited an ancient Roman and Islamic site and the Rabat Kasbah or fortress with walls from the 12th century and incredible views. Its incredible to be visiting sites that are not only date back over 2,000 years, but have been built and rebuilt by so many different empires and cultures. These destinations are popular with Moroccans as well so we definitely stood out, but the views were well worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment